The weekend should be a time to recharge, rest and enjoy time with loved ones. But as anyone knows, that’s often easier said than done. Saturday and Sunday are often seen as the time to get things done and catch up on what couldn’t be done during the rest of the week.
Remember what it was like to be a carefree child on a summer day? Riding bikes, exploring little ice cream shoppe down the road, walking barefoot on the grass, running out to the lake, can’t wait to dip our little toes in to the cool water, chasing after a beautiful butterfly … Days filled with adventure and curiosity.
When is the last time we felt this free? Our schedules are crammed with commitments, chores, errands, appointments, and activities. We dream of vacations and travel. Why do we wait for vacations to take a break? Isn’t a weekend a tiny vacation? To vacate from our regular routines. To let our minds relax and to slow down.
Selfishness is highly underrated. Everyone needs to give themselves permission to make themselves a priority. First thing’s first, end Friday well. It’s hard to relax on Saturday if we failed to return an important calls, file important paperwork, or finish a marketing report on Friday. Think about all the work related things we tend to think about on the weekends, whether it’s our Monday meeting or a weekly report. Then, take care of it as best as we can before we leave the office, so we can be ready to start a selfish Saturday just for us! 🙂
Relax & treat yourself to a Selfish Saturday
- Turn off technology or unplug from our computer for at least a few hours. Be available for more personal connection, even if we are quietly presence. With less distractions, we will invite relaxation.
- Get most of our cleaning, jobs, and errands done during the week. Resist over-scheduling our weekend by leaving pockets of time to unwind. The less we schedule, the more we can go with the flow.
- And, the less we schedule in our weekend, the slower our pace. Everyone needs at least one slow morning a week where there is no time commitment to get ready for. Enjoy this restful pace.
- Foster the art of doing almost nothing. Gaze at the birds. Listen to the wind. Read a good book. Do some journal entry. Focus on being more than doing. And, in this moment, just be.
In a perfect world, we’d all be so zen and mindful we’d just focus on what’s in front of us. But we’re human, and our thoughts do wander to things we have to do. So plan in advance as best we can to minimize potential stresses and enjoy our Saturday like we should.
- Try out a new lipstick colour
- Try out a new Summer scent
- Put on that cute little floral dress, the cute sandals that’s been screaming out your name waiting for you to wear it for the day.
- Take a drive to a local location and search for a parfait picturesque spot for your blog photos
- Wear a head scarf when driving with the top down, enjoy the wind in your hair and face & remember to wear sunscreen.
- Enjoy lunch at a local fish & chips place have a cheat day with some delicious gelato, or that wonderful melt in your mouth piece of cake, enjoy a few snapchat stories from your favorite snappers & catch up on some trends.
- Stop by a flower shop and pick up some peonies or roses or a Summer bouquet for a special room in your house.
- Enjoy yourself at a local spa for some pampering
- Go ahead and splurge on a pair of shoes that you’ve desired for the last few months
Life is better when we are happy. But life is the best when other people are happy because of us.
Be inspired, give peace and share our smile with everyone.
A healthy lifestyle is not just about what we eat or exercise. It is also what we consume emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
Have a Healthy Weekend!
Bonjour Saturday! 🙂