Ahhh, the summer season is almost over, but before that it can be hard on our hair. All those harmful UV rays, wind, chlorine, and pollution can attack your hair leaving it feeling and looking parched. Fortunately for most of us, there are a few amazing Brand and also homemade hair masks that you can make at home and revive your hair’s beauty in a blink of an eye. While it’s much easier to buy a good hair mask, why spend money if you can save and create your own hair mask using basic ingredients.
My Two favorite store bought brand for hair mask
(incase we feel lazy at times and just want an easy quick solution) 🙂
Lush hair doctor Hair and Scalp Mask (links provided for further information on products only)
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask
Here are some of my favorite hair masks that can be easily made at home. Three great and easy protein hair masks that you can do at home
- Full of protein, it offers nourishment that our hair needs to grow strong and healthy. It also has moisturising properties which make it a great natural conditioner. Yogurt has lactic acids, which is great for cleansing the scalp and clearing away dead skin cells to help your hair follicles grow.
- Honey is a humectant, it attracts and retains moisture in your hair and an emollient, helping to soften and smoothen. Full of vitamins, it’s also skin food for your scalp! Honey can lighten your hair over time, but if you only use this treatment once a week, you probably won’t see any changes.
- The fatty acids that olive oil is made up of will coat the shaft of your hair, helping to keep it healthy and protected. Using hair dye, flat irons and even using hair dryers can damage the outer layer of your hair. Olive oil will coat the damaged outer layers of your hair, giving them a sleeker, smoother, and healthier appearance.
- A good hair mask cannot be without a drop of coconut oil. It’s unique in that it can actually penetrate the hair shaft, moisturising from within. It’s incredibly nutrient rich and antibacterial, so you’ll be conditioning your scalp as well. It’s going to help the hair shaft to lay flat so that your hair looks smooth and shiny – but definitely not greasy. It’s a very rich oil, so a drop will do.
Yogurt, Honey & Olive Oil
Honey might not sound like something you want to put on your hair, and I understand. It’s like the stickiest substance found in nature. But when you mix it with a little yogurt and olive oil, it’s an important component to helping get your hair back in shape.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¼ cup yogurt
Mix the ingredients well. Apply to damp hair, and allow to sit for 15-2o minutes. Rinse and wash your hair, and allow to dry as normal.
Hydrating Honey Olive Oil Conditioner
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp plain yogurt or buttermilk
Put olive oil in bowl and microwave until warm, not hot. Add honey and yogurt (or buttermilk) to olive oil and stir until well blended. Apply to damp, clean hair. You may want to use an applicator bottle to make application easier. After all the hair has been covered with this honey hair treatment, put a plastic cap on your hair to keep in the heat.
Deep Conditioning Hair Mask | for dry and frizzy hair
- 2 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 tsp coconut oil for thin hair, 1/2 tsp coconut oil for thicker hair (my hair can only take about two drops)
if your coconut oil is hard, go ahead and melt it down
combine all of the ingredients together
work the mask onto your hair, from the scalp to the ends
give your scalp a good massage, you want the mask to cover your scalp
leave the mask on for 15 -20 minutes
wash as normal, if you use conditioner, just a small amount on the ends will do.
do this treatment once a week to restore and maintain your hair.
Now is a good time to relax with your favorite cup of tea, along with a little more honey so that you are being rejuvenated both inside and and out. The warm oil on the scalp will leave you feeling so relaxed. Even though you may be tempted to leave this therapeutic mixture on for a while, leave the honey in your hair for only 20 minutes – then rinse thoroughly with warm water. You may have to rinse twice to make sure all the conditioner is removed. Try to make friend with your lovely kitchen and whip up these ingredients for your hair once or twice a month. You’ll see the difference right away and your hair will certainly love you for it! 🙂
Good luck getting your hair back to its happy, healthy, shiny state. Which mask do you think you’ll try first?
Bonjour Tuesday! 🙂