I wrote this post about shoes some time ago, and while it doesn’t have anything to do with poetic and quote inspiration per se, it’s all about pretty things (shoes, the absolute kitten heels!) and we all know how I feel about that.
There’s something about a pair of kitten heels. They’re instantly classy. They work with everything, they make our legs look great, and they can turn the scrubbiest ensemble into a chic mode outfit. A beautiful pair of shoes is a magical pretty little thing that will transform us into a sophisticated lady about-town, even when we’re just running out to the grocery store in our pyjamas and perhaps a bedhead look.
The History of Kitten Heels
Kitten heels were introduced in the late 1950’s, when the kitten was created, a tapered heel with a maximum height of 3.5cm was deemed perfect for teenage girls to practise walking in before they graduated to wearing proper heels. Actress Audrey Hepburn is largely to thank for popularizing kitten heels in films like “Sabrina,” “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and “Funny Face.” The style icon helped introduce the practical yet fashionable heels to a wider audience during the ’50s and ’60s.
Types of Kitten Heels
There are different types of kitten heels, they are;
- Kitten heel sandals can be worn casually and they can also dress up any outfit. The most popular style of kitten heel sandals are; the thong, or flip flop style.
- Kitten heel pumps come in pointed toe, peep toe, rounded toe, sling backs or laced closure.
How to Wear Kitten Heels
- Kitten heels are versatile and can be worn for any occasion. The best way to wear these heels without looking like a grandmere is to pair them with very young, edgy pieces. Ankle jeans/trousers are a must with slingbacks as they highlight the ankle beautifully. Just make sure your pant hem ends about an inch above your ankle bone, this is because it’s the slimmest and most flattering length. When shopping for kitten heels, look for slim, feminine shapes and similar-looking materials.
Kitten Heels at Work
- Kitten heels are a great shoe to wear to work, as they are comfortable to walk in while still dressing up the outfit. Consider wearing kitten heels with a pencil skirt and blouse. The kitten heel slingback pump is perfect for work because they provide support and it can also be worn to complement a weekend wardrobe.
Kitten Heels on a Night out
- Kitten heels could be paired with your favorite black dress for a night on the town. The gentle heel on kitten heel shoes provides a bit of lift and lengthens the leg without an ultra-high heel. Choose a classic black pump or a brighter color for added versatility.
Kitten Heels for a casual look
- Dress up your style with a pair of skinny jeans and some kitten heels. This combination can make a woman’s weekend outfit look very chic and stylish. Kitten heels can look lovely when paired with high-waisted skirts or shorts with a tucked-in tank top.
Kitten Heels on Sunday
- On a lovely Sundays, turn to open toe kitten heels, this look is parfait. Kitten heels provide the height of a pump, the look of a sandal and the classic styling of a dress shoe. Pair with a brightly coloured summer dress and hit the town for some gelato and don’t forget to pick up some roses for the home too!
Kitten heels prove that shoes can be practical and chic. They’re the absolute perfect compromise between our favorite pair of comfortable, feminine flats and sophisticated stilettos . . . And perhaps this is why I have always love the kitten heels!
Bonjour Monday! Wishing everyone a beautiful week ahead! 🙂