Success is not final and failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts. My last birthday slightly got me reflecting on my journey to this present time, and I’m quite satisfied and happy compared with the younger me, I’m much more at peace with myself, content with my life, confident of what I want and sure of how to get there. And I like to share these ideas with you. Life is grand, and Love is great, we should not waste a moment of unnecessary .
People are always talking about success. It’s a word we hear often, but I wonder what exactly does it mean? How, exactly, does one measure “success?”
I am sure we have read books and articles that promise to enlighten us on “How to Be Successful.” They always tell us to work hard, ask for that raise, be innovative, not to waste time being unproductive, not to surround ourselves with those loser friends who have no interest in climbing the proverbial ladder. Someday, these articles promise, enough hard work and the right amount of luck will make us successful. (In other words, very rich and very powerful).
The very natural connection that great achievement always correlates to money, power, possessions, and impressing other people. When our skin wrinkles around our eyes and our hair turns gray, will money and power alone warm our souls and allow us to think, “I’ve lived a good life?”
There are plenty of people who have millions of dollars in their bank accounts, and yet, not a single true friend. Are they a success? Of course, in an ideal world we would all have both tons of money and tons of friends but why is it that our broadly accepted idea of accomplishment revolves around materialism? Of course, who doesn’t hope to be financially secure? Most of us probably do, but to make money, power, and possessions our main goal in life is to ignore the deeper purpose of the human experience.
Achieving the ingredients of living a successful life.
As the unattributed quote goes, “Watch your thoughts for they become words, watch your words for they become actions, watch your actions, for they become habits, watch your habits for they become your character, watch your character for it becomes your destiny.” Having a mind filled with negative thoughts will lead to a negative life, and a mind filled with positivity will breed a positive one.
(János Csongor Kerekes)
- Know who you are, what your values are, and what you stand for. People love to be in their comfort zones, once we find a particular way of doing things, we are very reluctant to change the way we go about it. However, times do change and it’s important that we keep an open mind when it comes to new ideas and ways of thinking.
- Understand that life is precious and tomorrow isn’t guaranteed. Continuously remind yourself who and what you’re grateful for, and show them your appreciation often.
- Keep your perspective, and remember that if you have health, shelter, clean water and food you are luckier than most.
- Recognize that there is pain and suffering in this world beyond your comprehension, and still choose to see the good in life.
- Be generous with your soul. Be compassionate and empathetic towards your fellow human beings. Give. Don’t expect anything in return for your generosity.
- Always strive for personal growth, but accept your smaller imperfections and love yourself regardless. If you demand perfection, it will only be exhausted.
- Love and love deeply, love fully. Don’t ever let fear prevent you from experiencing the greatest feeling in this life. Love your family, love your friends, love your partners, love children, love strangers, love yourself. Immerse yourself in love.
- Find something you are passionate about and something that always brings peace to your soul, and emerge yourself in it.
- Treat others with kindness and understanding. Everyone has his or her own baggage, problems and worries, and is also striving for happiness and the freedom to pursue his or her own dreams. Helping someone out, being nice to them or even just smiling at a stranger will have ripple effects. If you’ve ever had someone do something nice for you, you’ve probably felt the compulsion to pay it forward, so set that chain in motion yourself. Kindness costs little but pays rich rewards to everyone.Get in a regular dose of nature. Every day, connect with nature in some way, even if your schedule is packed, spend a minute observing the patterns the little birds flapping their wings and singing outside your window. Watch a tree as it bends and moves with the wind. And smell the roses. Studies have shown that nature has a rejuvenating effect, and appreciating it is an easy way to be present in the moment.
- Have a collection of memories. Some that make you laugh, some that make you smirk, some that make you cringe, and some that make you cry.
- Have the courage to draw your own road map for life. Live only according to your own expectations, and nobody else’s. Constantly seek out new experiences with no fear.
- Know when to keep your word silence and listen to others. Everybody has something to share.
- Overcome and avoid toxic habits and say goodbye to toxic people. You only get one shot at this life . So why let anything hold you back?
Learn from every single experience you have. Allow these lessons to guide you in the future. Share your wisdom with friends, peers, strangers and younger generations. Constantly educate yourself. Just because you graduated college does not mean you stop learning. Attend seminars in whatever field you work in and brush up on old skills while seeking to learn new skills that can prove to be useful. This is important to the development of your skills beyond the college dorm room and it will help you keep up to date with the times. (And don’t ever think you’re too old to learn something new!)
- Accept new technologies and try to learn as much about them as you can. Understand the importance of keeping up with the times. No one wants to be the old hag that is left behind because of an ignorance of new technology. While you can survive without a single idea of pop culture, it will be hard to last long without keeping up with technology. Have an open mind when it comes to understanding the new technologies out there, it will help you keep up with the times. You don’t want to end up being considered old just because you can’t keep up with the technology.
- Regard every one of your fellow human beings as equals, regardless of race, culture, socioeconomic class, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.
- Whether it be in life or in business, you should never take anything for granted and you should learn how to make the most of the situations that are presented to you.
- Create self examination a habit. In life and in business, you will go through many phases, you will make mistakes and you will come across countless obstacles on your way to achieving your goals. If you do not examine yourself, you risk living a stagnant life. It is crucial that you reflect on the mistakes you made and what you learned from that experience, so you know not to make those mistakes again.
- You also want to think about the people you met and what you learned from your daily interactions with them. There is always something you can learn from someone you meet, take advantage of people’s experiences and try not to make the same mistakes they did.
- Learn to listen to your gut feeling. Your gut feeling is one of your most innate senses. It usually comes in at random, sporadic times when you least expect it, yet need it most. There is no way to turn this instinct on or off, however, when you realize you are in a tough situation, your gut feeling is the most trusted way to go. Gut feelings are particularly helpful when it comes to reading people, either it feels right or it feels wrong. If your gut is giving you a negative feeling about a particular person or situation, then it would be best not to question it.
- Learn to accept rejection. Every rejection means you’re one rejection closer to the next yes. so, always put yourself out there, and get used to being rejected. No one will ever have a perfect batting average, so pile up the rejections in order to get the yeses.
- Have an open mind when it comes to unfamiliar ways of thinking. If you have a problem with someone and need to air it out with them, first figure out what you did wrong. You can’t find a solution to the problem until you also know how you contributed to it, and they won’t make peace until you acknowledge your role.
- This is especially true when it comes to the way you go about living your life. Don’t try to force your beliefs onto others. Just because something works for you doesn’t mean it will work for someone else. Be open to other people’s thoughts as a situation in your near future may arise where your way of thinking may not work and another one does.
- Give back when you can. Great success comes with great responsibility. Do not take your success for granted. You may have worked hard for what you achieved, but know that you are now in a position to help those who are less fortunate. Now this doesn’t mean you have to give away everything you have to people less fortunate, but it wouldn’t hurt you to give a helping hand.
- There are people who will never get the same opportunities as you. Help open up doors for these people, it will not only show others the importance of helping out, but it will also make you feel good about yourself. Who knew that with such little effort you can make a big difference in someone’s life.
- Know that being street smart is just as important as being book smart. While school is important, being book smart is not the only thing that you will need to excel in this world. Book smarts help you understand what you are talking about and will give you an idea on which path to choose, however street smarts allow you to use your intuition to analyze any situation at hand.
- Know that how you use your mind is in your power. Underlying all the above principles is the fact that at every moment, you have a choice as to how to use your mind, and that, in turn, gives you control over the course of your life. You can act with love or hate, kindness or meanness, big-heartedness or pettiness, mindfulness or absentmindedness and the more you opt for the first of those choices, the more love, kindness, big-heartedness and mindfulness you’ll have in your life.
- Care for yourself. There is nothing more important that your health. Wealth can’t buy health. You want to operate at maximum levels at all times that you are up and working. This requires you to get enough rest and proper nutrition on a regular basis.
- While partying and drinking is fun and it gives a certain adrenaline rush, you must ask yourself, is the hangover worth it? Operating at 80% as opposed to 100% can be the difference between you completing your work and you saving your work for tomorrow.
Find a passion and commit yourself to it. Anything that you want to achieve is going to take time and, most importantly, effort. Time is our most valuable asset and if we are truly invested in something, our efforts and time will be all we have to offer. That is why it is important that we choose a goal that we really enjoy because we must be committed to it. Accept and enjoy where we are right now. Life is always changing and soon the current rhythm of our days will morph into something new. There was a period when I look around and almost everyone of my girlfriends are married, and I am the only one left in our circle, but then I realized that I might someday miss my single days. Now I make sure to enjoy every one. 🙂
Success is more than an idea, it is a state of mind. Although success is relative to each individual, the key to achieving success is the demeanor in which you go about living your life and taking advantage of opportunities that come to you. Nothing comes easy in this world and if we really want something, then we are going to stop at nothing to make it happen. If you find yourself losing interest in particular goal, then it was never meant to be. Finding your passion may be the most difficult part of your life, but once you find it, you will stop at nothing to make your dreams come true.
What is your ingredients for life achievement, share with me the ideas that have helped you in your journey of life so far. 🙂
Happy Monday! 🙂