We all need a lazy day now and again. For some that means hanging out on the couch while others like to soak up some rays. I sure have. Yesterday was one of them. We all have our lazy and unproductive days. Sometimes we didn’t get enough sleep, sometimes we just don’t have motivation, for what ever the cause, let’s try to turn it around and work with what we’ve got and make the best of it! 🙂
Here are some of my most favorite ways of making the most of an unproductivity-filled day:
Find something fun and exciting to do
- If you’re feeling unmotivated, it may just be that the things on your to-do list bore you. You need to find something exciting to do! This can be a bit of a challenge for some, but let’s start with taking a step back, close your eyes, and just let your mind go. What would be fun to do today? How can you get outside of your normal routine? What are you passionate about? What would be fresh and new to you? Let the ideas flow, then start writing them down. Then choose something fun and exciting from your list to do, it’s really better than doing nothing! Getting excited about something is the best way to get out of those unmotivated doldrums. Aways remember, find your passion, hold on to it and pursue it!
Avoid & Kill distractions
- What is it that’s distracting us today? if you find a way to block yourself from that distraction, you can get a lot more done. It’s hard, I know. A good method: have a friend or coworker stop you from using the distraction. Another good method: disconnect the Internet. I know I get a lot more done when I do that. 🙂
Pretend to make a list of what we’ll do the next day
- If there’s something that I’ve been putting off for awhile, something that put fear into my heart, I write that at the top of my list for today, and put a bunch of other things I need to do below that. Guess what? I might not do the thing at the top of my list. But in order to procrastinate on that dreaded item, I crank through a bunch of other things on my list. That’s productive unproducitivity for you!
Take a refreshing shower
- For those of us that can get to work at home, it’s very tempting to just get up and start working in our sleepwear pajamas. We also need to feel refresh and clean, we might not feel productive. So go jump in that refreshing and invigorating cool shower then let’s change into a sweatsuit or an exercise outfit for comfort and stretch, it might just lead us to do some exercise after all. You’ll feel much better, and ready to work. It’s amazing how much of a difference a shower can make!
Take a quick stroll or a bike ride
- Sometimes we just need to get the blood circulating. Sitting at our desk all day can take a lot out of us. Get up, walk around, go outside if you can. Take a quick bike ride around the block to your nearest flower shop, stop in and smell the fresh exhilirating roses. Go ahead, buy a dozen for your house. That magical fifteen, twenty minutes of fresh air can get us relaxed and ready to continue the work!
Do a five minutes stretch or deep breathing
- Since we are already in our exercise gear, we might as well do a few minutes of stretching or deep breathing. It will certainly help clear our minds, refreshes our senses and get us ready to start the day . . . or not!
Take a quick cat nap (if you prefer) 🙂
- The ultimate unproductivity tool. If we happen to fail the previous tip then this is the next step to take . . . but then again, a little cat nap could be good for us too. If I can sneak in a nap, it always helps me out. I feel refreshed and much more ready to face the work in front of me.
Turn up the music
- Last but not least. Nothing gets me going better than an upbeat tune. Seriously, just give it a try. Anything that’s got a good beat will definitely do.
Just relax . . . If nothing else
- Alright, you have tried and so you still don’t get anything done today. Do not worry, the world will not end. Sometimes, especially if we’ve been doing a lot of work, our brain just needs a rest. Take that rest day! Let ourself rejuvenate. If we can take the day off, do it! If not, just goof around today, and get back to work tomorrow. We might just find ourself recharged if we take a stroll out to the nearest green grass park and just lie down in the middle of the grass, kick our shoes off, feel the grass on our feet, take a deep breath, look upon the blue sky, appreciate this day . . . and just Relax! 🙂
I hope this helps for those of us that happens to be bitten by a lazy bug, but we are just not going to take it when we are down, right? we are going to just make the best within our ability and the best of what we can! 🙂
What would be your lazy day be like? And if you ever got hit by an unproductive bug, and what would you do to make it better? 🙂
Bonjour Monday! 🙂