“What is it about wearing a tuxedo or that little black dress, that makes us feel confident, beautiful, splendid, even invincible? We put on formal wear and suddenly we become extraordinary. On the days when you feel low and invisible, why not try this on for size: imagine you are wearing a fantastic tailored tuxedo or a stunning formal gown.
And then proceed with your day.”
― Vera Nazarian
A little black dress (LBD) is a staple that should hang in every woman’s closet. We all have those days when we look in our closet full of clothes, but still, have nothing to wear, and that’s where the classic Little Black Dress comes in. A go-to for any last minute occasion, along with every “I don’t know what to wear” moment that crosses every girls mind. Job interview, funeral, wedding, fancy night out should fit the criteria of your LBD.
A few ways to ensure that we have the perfect Little Black Dress.
- Black is black … We may find this quite obvious but there are some visions out there who think charcoal, dark grey, grey, white with a tint of black all qualify, but they don’t. Make sure your dress is stone cold black. You don’t want to fall into the fiasco of “is it black and blue or white and gold” type of situation.
- Remember why we are buying this dress. It is not for a night out on the club in the midst of summer when we want to almost bare it all. It is for the formal and close to formal occasions that a black dress would be needed. If we can find the perfect combination of funeral and wedding we’re getting very close.
Versatile able To Be Dressed Up Or Down
- We should be able to pair this dress with heels, flats, a statement necklace or a simple gold bracelet. This should not be an ensemble that has its very own shoes, hair-do, jewelry collection and makeup look. It should be able to pull of any fancy or modest look that we want to pair with it.
Beautiful & Comfortable
- Believe me if it’s not comfortable you are not going to wear it. Don’t try to lie to ourselves and say we’re going to wear it because it is so cute. Imagine ourselves standing in front of our closet looking for something to wear, an uncomfortable dress is never the one we want to jump to first.
Classic & Timeless
- Our LBD should be a staple piece that is in style no matter the year or the style trends of the season. Do not buy the black dress that is different but “so in style this season”, because guess what, come next season we wouldn’t be caught dead wearing it. So don’t buy it. Picture ourselves in five years, can it still be worn? Will is still be in style?
- When we have found a dress that fits all these criteria, congratulations we have found our little black dress. The timeless wardrobe staple that should be able to be paired and transitioned for almost any occasion with little to no effort.
- The black Givenchy dress of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, designed by Hubert de Givenchy, epitomized the standard for wearing little black dresses accessorized with pearls.
- Edith Piaf, the french folk icon performed in a black sheath dress throughout her career, for this habbit she was nicknamed: “little black sparrow”.
“One is never over-dressed or under-dressed with a Little Black Dress.”
Bonjour Monday! Wishing everyone a fabulous week ahead! 🙂